Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: California Innovations, Inc. (Toronto, Canada) recalls Cryofreeze Ice/Hot Packs (6″ x 5.5″ and 8.5″ x 8″; Opaque blue wrappers), Cryofreeze Transparent Cell Ice/Hot Packs (three-cell pack and 2-cell pack styles) and Arctic Zone Ice Packs (6.25″ x 4″ with opaque blue wrapper). The recalled products were manufactured in China and sold at mass merchandise and warehouse stores, other retailers, distributors and on-line sellers nationwide between July 2007 and December 2008 in items that retailed between $5 and $28. If damaged, the recalled gel packs can leak gel that could contain diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol, which can cause illness if ingested in large amounts.
- Allergy Alert: Scholtens Inc. recalls Granny Appleton Crystallized Ginger (125g; All codes) due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. The recalled product was sold in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Saputo Inc. recalls Dairyland 1% M.F. Partly Skimmed Milk (120mL; Best before 2012 JN01 and 2012 JN04), due to the presence of harmful extraneous material. The recalled product was distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Yukon.
- Food Safety Recall: Pepsico Beverages Canada recalls Gatorade Perform G Thirst Quencher – Orange (905mL; Code #0402TT2; UPC 55577 10631), due to the presence of a chemical additive. The recalled product was sold in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Casino recalls Tous Les Jours chez Casino Sardines en Boîte à l’huile végétale/Canned Sardines in vegetable oil (120g can; Lot #BJ.L 019F; Best by 19/01/2017) and Tous Les Jours chez Casino Sardines en Boîte à la sauce tomate/Canned Sardines in tomato sauce (120g; Lot #BJ.L 020F; Best by 20/01/2015), due to contamination with histamine.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Taiwan): The China Post reports that Taiwan health authorities have seized a batch of raw oysters at a high-end restaurant chain and have launched checks on all oyster imports from South Korea after dozens of consumers in Taipei and Taichung reported symptoms of food poisoning. The outbreak victims reported eating uncooked oysters at the Eatogther chain.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert Update (Turks and Caicos): Beaches Turks and Caicos Resort and Spa has postponed its reopening until June 13 after confirmation from the Ministry of Health that 10 cases of norovirus have been confirmed.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.