Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Bumble Bee, Inc. recalls Bumble Bee Fancy Whole Oysters (8-oz can; all lot codes; UPC 86600-70030), due to an FDA evaluation of the Korean Shellfish Sanitation Program found significant deficiencies in Korean shellfish growing areas.
- Medical Device Safety Recall: Tyco Healthcare/Covidien recalls SYR MONJ KEN 29G, Product ID #8881511344, Product ID #8881511336, and Product ID #8881511144, due to a molding issue that can allow the safety shield to separate from the syringe, exposing the needle, which could potentially result in a needle stick. Please see the recall notice posted on Rite-Aid’s web site for more details.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden): Unilever withdraws Milda Food and Baking Margarine (500g), due to the presence of undeclared whey, a milk protein.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): The Whole Company A/S recalls Castus fruit bar – fig wholegrain (Packs of 20g and packs of 100g; Best before 08-08-2012 and 03-10-2012), due to mold growth.
- Food Safety Notification Update (EU #2012.0664): Listeria monocytogenes in Manouri sheep’s cheese from Greece; distributed to Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification Update (EU #2012.0586): Listeria monocytogenes in raw milk sheep cheese coated with herbs from France; distributed to Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0677): Salmonella Caracas in SIFA Gewürze & Feinkost brand ground cumin from Turkey and Syria; distributed to Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pet Food Safety Recall (Singapore): The Agri-food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) advises consumers that Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. (El Cajon, CA) has recalled one batch of WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food and one batch of WolfKing Large Breed Adult Dog Food, due to potential Salmonella contamination. Please refer to the AVA notice for details.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a fatal case of Vibrio vulnificus infection involving an 84-year old woman. The woman was injured while scraping fish on May 23rd.
- Outbreak Alert (Philippines): The Provincial Health Office in Bataan is investigating three separate illness outbreaks: complaints of diarrhea among 117 inmates of Bataan District Jail, a cluster of 25 cases of food poisoning among people who ate egg rolls during a funeral in Limay, and 97 people who suffered food poisoning after consuming “dirty” ice cream in Balanga.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.