Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC and Giant Food, LLC recall Simply Enjoy Frozen Vanilla Cream Puffs (19.4-oz pkg; UPC 8826712409), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in Giant Food supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and the District of Columbia, and in Stop & Shop supermarkets in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey.
- Allergy Alert: Taylor Farms New Jersey, Inc. (Swedesboro, NJ) recalls GOOD & deLISH ISLAND SEASONED CHICKEN (10-oz plastic trays and 12.5-lb cases; Est. No. P-3453; Case codes 089512 or 119312; Use by dates from March 30 to April 4, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared wheat and milk resulting from a labeling error. The recalled products were shipped to a distribution center and retail locations in the New York City area.
- Outbreak Alert: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting three overlapping multistate outbreaks of Salmonella infections linked to exposure to small turtles or their environments. Sixty-six people in 16 states have been infected with one of the outbreak strains – Salmonella Sandiego, Salmonella Pomona and Salmonella Poona – since September 2011. Eleven people were hospitalized; 55% of the confirmed victims are children 10 years of age or younger.
- Outbreak Alert (New York): The New York City Department of Health is investigating two cases (one confirmed) of botulism that may be associated with unrefrigerated fresh bulk tofu, according to WABC New York. Both patients are Chinese-speaking residents of Queens, and purchased the tofu from the same store in Flushing, NY.
- Allergy Alert: Canadian Natural & Specialty Brands (Gormley, ON) recalls Sunstart Brand Chocolate & Orange Cookies (198g pkgs; UPC 8 77099 00005 5; Lot code L11139; Best if used by 2013 APR 26), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The product was distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Mumm’s Sprouting Seeds Ltd. (Parkside, SK) recalls Mumm’s brand Sprouting Seeds – Sunflower (75g; UPC 7 73295 07582 3; Lot #SF2020), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product is known to have been distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario, and may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Recall: Ontario Natural Food Co-op recalls Ontario Natural Food Co-op brand Organic Thyme, Organic Basil, Organic Italian Seasoning, Organic Savoury Seasoning, Organic Oregano and Organic Rosemary (21g pkgs; Best by May 2012), due to the presence of “non-harmful” extraneous material. The recalled products were sold in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall/Alert (Multiple Countries): Health authorities in the United Kingdom, France and Italy NOT TO USE food-grade chemicals purchased from Mistral Laboratory Chemicals (Antrim, Northern Ireland) or bearing the Mistral brand name. This warning follows the death of a woman at a private medical clinic in Italy, and the serious illness of two other people in Italy who were reported to have consumed “Sorbitol Food Grade” from this company. Lab analysis has determined that the product actually consisted of sodium nitrite, a food additive that can cause cardiovascular problems if consumed in large doses. The company has ceased all food product sales and is cooperating with the UK Food Standards Agency investigation.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Unison Hellas recalls Yummy Gummy brand Meyveler, Hot Dog, Alligator, and Tarantula candies. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.