Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for Harold Food Co. Grand Strand Deluxe Chicken Salad, recalled by Bost Distributing Company due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Various brands of non-alcoholic malta beverages manufactured by The Florida Brewery, Inc. and recalled due to potential breakage of glass on the exterior of the bottles upon opening, were sold at Publix (Malta Hatuey, Goya Malta, Malta Polar, and Publix Malta brands), Walmart, Sams Club and Whole Foods Market (Goya Malta brand) stores.
- Outbreak Alert: The New Mexico Department of Health has confirmed that norovirus is the likely cause of an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness that has affected 27 people at Presbyterian Kaseman Hospital in Albuquerque. The hospital has closed two inpatient skilled nursing units to new patients; all patients with symptoms have been isolated.
- Food Safety Alert: Patrons of the Costco Canada warehouse store located at 3180 Laird Road, Mississauga, Ontario have been alerted by telephone to discard Barbecued Chicken purchased at that location on February 23, 2012. Thanks to eFoodAlert reader Morty M. of Mississauga for alerting us to this notification.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Hamilton public health officials have identified an additional 12 cases of Salmonella illness among patrons of Eat A Pita (1384 Main St. East, Hamilton East). A February 9, 2012 inspection of the restaurant detected two critical infractions (both relating to hold temperatures) and five minor infractions. The restaurant was reinspected on February 15th and found to be in compliance.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0276): Salmonella Virchow in fresh eggs from Poland; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012. 0278): Incorrect labeling (sesame oil appearing on the label as gingelly oil) on Periyar brand fish and prawn pickles from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0279): Benzo(a)pyrene in dried fumigated skipjack tuna from Vietnam; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0280): Listeria monocytogenes in Migros cooked tail-on shrimps with raw material from Indonesia, packaged in Germany; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0281): Salmonella group E in dried black fungus from Vietnam, via the Netherlands; notified by Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0283): Omethoate in chilled aubergine from Malaysia; notified by Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0284): Mercury in frozen blue shark steak from Ecuador; notified by France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0285): Traces of egg in frozen breaded cod from the Netherlands; notified by Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0286): Aflatoxins in white sunflower seeds from Egypt, via France; notified by Belgium.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.