Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Gemini Food Corporation (City of Industry, CA) and Tong Enterprises (Hayward, CA) recall Bin-Bin Snow Rice Crackers (5.3 oz/150; all codes) and Bin-Bin Rice Crackers (15.8oz/450g; all codes) due to the presence of undeclared eggs. The recalled product was distributed nationwide.
- Pediatric Medical Food Safety Recall: Vitaflo USA recalls Renastart (14.11-oz/400g cans; Batch No. 12832), because some of the product shipped throughout the USA from December 29, 2011 through January 26, 2012 has been incorrectly labeled. Renostart is a powdered medical food used in the dietary management of pediatric renal disease, for patients one year and older in the United States. The company urges all patients (or their caregivers) “…who have consumed any Renastart from this batch should contact their health care professional immediately to determine next steps, including nutritional management alternatives.”
- Food Safety Recall: The Kroger Company recalls Deli Country Potato Salad, RW and Bakers Country Potato Salad, 5-lb because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled potato salads were sold in Dillons, Baker’s, Gerbes and Food4Less Fremont stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Super1Foods & Discount Pharmacy recalls Deli Fresh Gourmet Mustard Potato Salad (3 lb; Batch 3/19/12), because the potato salad contains hard-cooked eggs recalled by Michael Foods due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall: Brookshire’s food & pharmacy recalls Brookshire’s brand Southern Mustard Potato Salad (1 lb and 3 lb; Batch 3/19/12), and Deli Fresh Gourmet Mustard Potato Salad (3 lb; Batch 3/12/12), because the potato salad contains hard-cooked eggs recalled by Michael Foods due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Withdrawal: Topco Associates withdraws Spartan Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food Individually Wrapped Slices (3-lb; Date code April 3, 2012; Manufactured by Great Lakes Cheese), because the cheese slices cannot be peeled cleanly from the wrapper. This is NOT a food safety issue. The withdrawn product was sold through the Spartan family of stores, including VG’s grocery, Spartan, Valu Land, VG’s Fresh Market, Glen’s Markets, Glen’s Fresh Market, Family Fare Supermarkets, and D&W Fresh Market.
- FDA Enforcement Action: FDA has asked a U.S. District Court to issue a permanent injunction agains Mexicali Cheese (Woodhaven, NY) and two of its officers, because the firm has a history of unsanitary conditions and of producing cheese in a facility that is contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Mexicali Cheese manufactures and distributes soft Mexican cheeses to grocery stores and supermarkets in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Douty Brothers, Inc. (Portland, ME) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Negocios Industriales Real “N.I.R.S.A.”, S.A. (Guayaquil, Ecuador) that an August 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious deviations from the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Flavors from Florida, Inc. (Bartow, FL) that a September 2011 inspection of the company’s juice processing facility revealed inspection revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for food.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Pacific Cheese Company, Inc. (Hayward, CA) that a follow-up inspection conducted during February-March 2011 of the company’s cheese processing facility revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in samples of cubed and shredded cheddar cheese collected from a third-party warehouse. In addition, FDA found the company’s response to the agency’s FDA Form 483-Inspectional Observations to be inadequate.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The outbreak of Campylobacter illnesses in Pennsylvania and Maryland believed to be associated with the consumption of raw milk from The Family Cow farm in Pennsylvania has grown to 12 cases.
- Outbreak Alert: Health officials in Louisville, Kentucky report an unusually high number of cases of shigellosis. There have been 84 lab-confirmed cases in the last 13 weeks, including 18 cases during the week of January 23rd. The metropolitan area has averaged just 62 confirmed cases per year over the past five years. Shigellosis is a highly contagious diarrhea caused by Shigella bacteria.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The outbreak of Norovirus gastroenteritis linked to the Harbor Inn Seafood restaurant in Conover, NC has grown to 128 complaints. Most of the victims report having eaten at the restaurant on January 13th or 14th.
- Outbreak Alert: Norovirus has been fingered as the probable cause of an outbreak of gastroenteritis at the Lytton Gardens senior living center in downtown Palo Alto, CA. The illnesses have affected 10 residents and 2 staff members between January 5th and 18th.
- Allergy Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the individuals who are allergic to egg not to consume the following Bin Bin Rice Crackers, which have been recalled by the importers because the products contain undeclared egg: Snow Rice Crackers (150g; UPC 8 852098 700124), Rice Crackers Jumbo Bag (450g; UPC 8 852098 701510), and Rice Crackers (450g; UPC 6 84431 00113 5). The recalled products were distributed across Canada.
- Allergy Alert: Walmart Canada Corp. recalls Original Gourmet brand Passion Cookies (0.88 oz/25g pkg; Product of Turkey; Best before 11 05 2012 LH 031), because the product contains undeclared hazelnuts and may also contain other undeclared tree nuts. The recalled products were distributed across Canada.
- Allergy Alert: Eurotrade Import-Export recalls Nutrafruit Plum Butter (750mL; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. The recalled product was distributed in Ontario.
- Outbreak Alert: One unit of the Colchester Regional Hospital (Truro, NS) has been shut down due to an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness that has affected 15 patients and staff members.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda withdraws Asda Layered Prawn Salad (440g; Use by 2 February 2012), because the product is labeled incorrectly as Asda tuna layered salad and, therefore, does not mention prawns.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Ukraine): Agromars has withdrawn several batches of poultry meat after Salmonella was found in the products during a scheduled government inspection. As many as 30,000 tonnes of chicken may be affected.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Spain): Spanish health authorities order the recall of Doimas Capsules, because they were found to contain the illegal and undeclared ingredient nitrosoprodenafil.
- Outbreak Alert (Scotland): A norovirus outbreak struck staff and patrons of Troon Restaurant, overlooking Troon Yacht Haven (Ayrshire) last weekend.
- Outbreak Alert (Kyrgyzstan): Nine cases of botulism were reported in Bishkek during January. Two patients are in intensive care. The source of the outbreak was determined to be homemade preserves.
- Outbreak Alert (Russia): Twenty-seven kindergarten children and three adults from one school and one child from a different preschool in Kolosok were diagnosed with Salmonella infections after consuming substandard. Six of the children were hospitalized.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0154): Salmonella Amsterdam in teff meal from the Netherlands; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0155): Lead in pig fat from Poland; distributed to Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0156): Parasitic infestation with Acanthocephalus (in muscle) of canned natural saury in oil or in own juice from Russia; distributed to Lithuania.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Madagascar): One young woman is dead and 38 others have been hospitalized in Androhibe after consuming a mayonnaise-based salad. Authorities suspect the quality of the cooking oil used to prepare the mayonnaise.
- Outbreak Alert (Vietnam): As many as 14 cases of food poisoning were reported in Bihn Duong province during the Lunar New Year holiday.
- Food Safety Policy (China): China has announced plans to overhaul its current food standards before the end of 2015.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Cayman Islands): At least 20 people suffered food poisoning after attending the Taste of Cayman event at Camana Bay during the evening of January 28th. The source of the illnesses is under investigation.
- Outbreak Alert (Chile): Eighteen people developed Salmonella gastroenteritis after eating homemade mayonnaise at a local fast-food restaurant in Quilpué (Valparaíso region). Three of the victims were hospitalized.
- Food Safety Alert (Chile): Production has been suspended at the ice cream company Gelatos (located in Moneda) after government tests detected the presence of Staphylococcus aureus in its products.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.