Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: IAMS recalls IAMS Original With Chicken Cat Food (4 lbs, Lot #12794177I5; 6.8 lbs, Lot #12794177D3) and IAMS Lamb Meal With Rice Dog Food (15 lbs; Lot #12794177J4), due to elevated aflatoxin levels, according to a notice posted by the Price Chopper supermarket chain.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has expanded its earlier public warning not to consume various Woody’s brand alcoholic beverages to include additional product, sizing and UPC information. The beverages, which have been recalled by the various liquor jurisdictions where they were distributed, may contain harmful glass particles. Please read the CFIA recall notice for full details.
- Food Safety Recall Update: 3903052 Canada Inc. (Boisbriand, QC) has amended its earlier recall notices to identify additional coding and distribution information. The company has recalled a number of cheese products bearing establishment #1874, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Allergy Alert: Tesco recalls Tesco Finest Banoffee Tart (Frozen), 522g (Display until end June 2012; Best before end September 2012), due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delhaize Belgique recalls two additional production lots of Delhaize brand Tiroler Salami en tranches/Tiroler sliced salami, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The list of recalled products now includes all 150g packages bearing the Best before dates of 01.01.12, 08.01.12 or 15.01.12.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Bambix recalls Bambix Lait de croissance 1+ (1L brick; Best before 30/04/2012; Lot number range 20:50:00 to 21:07:00), due to development of an off-odor and disagreeable taste, similar to curdled milk. The affected lot was supplied to Colruyt Groupe and was sold only in Colruyt, Spar and Okay stores.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Cochonnailles du Haut Bois recalls Cochonnailles du Haut Bois Jambonneaux Cuits/cooked hams (250g, 400g, 900g; Lot # 307, 311, 312, 313, 314, 318, 319, 320; Best before dates up to and including 30/11/2011), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The hams were sold in the Paris region and in the following départements: 27, 28, 35, 41, 44, 45, and 61.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Colleran Butchers Ltd. (Galway) recalls John E. Colleran Baked Ham Cloves (Batch code 319, use by Dec 3rd 2011; Batch code 321, use by Dec 5th 2011), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The affected hams were sold to caterers and retailers (for slicing at deli counters) within Galway County.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kakshidi Food Imports Ltd recalls Spring Onions (Product of Thailand; 70g transparent plastic package), because the product is contaminated with Campylobacter.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Arla Foods amba recalls Lactose-free Mini Milk, 1L (best before 16 December 2011) and Mathilde Chocolate Milk 0.4%, 1L with screw cap (best before 16 December 2011), because the products have an off-flavor, which may be due to bacterial growth.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Arla Foods amba recalls SAGA ECO cottage cheese, 4.5% (200g; marked with best before date 11 December 2012), because of an incorrect expiration date. The packages should show a best before date of 11 December 2011.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1690): Campylobacter spp. in fresh rucola salad from Italy; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1691): Mercury in frozen vacuum packed swordfish slices from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1692): Mercury in chilled pork kidney from Germany; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1693, 1694 & 1695): Methanol in vodka from Germany; distributed to Denmark and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1698): Butanone in mineral water from Italy; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1699): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1700): Mercury in chilled swordfish from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1701): Ochratoxin A in oat sticks from the United Kingdom, via Sweden; distributed to Finland, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The Department of Health has ordered Marching Pharmaceutical Ltd to recall Marsedyl Elixir and Prophenin Elixir because the shelf-life of both products was changed without approval.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a confirmed case of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) infection. The 51-year old patient had no history of travel during the incubation period and his home contacts did not report any symptoms of infection.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.