Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Apple Pie (8-inch; Purchased Oct 3 – Nov 3) and Price Chopper Pumpkin Pie (8-inch; Purchased Oct 3 – Nov 3), because the products are not up to quality standards.
- Outbreak Alert: Thirty-five people fell ill with vomiting and diarrhea a day after eating lunch last week in the University of Wisconsin-Madison Pyle Center’s Alumni Lounge, according to an item in the Wisconsin State Journal.
- Allergy Alert: All The Best Fine Foods recalls its own brand of Maple Pecans (150g; UPC 20002954; Lot code 119061), due to the presence of undeclared wheat. As a result of a packaging error, the packages contain Maple Shortbread instead of Maple Pecans. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert (Netherlands): Kruidvat and Prijsmepper recall Kinder Joy Chocolate Eggs (Bar code 80310891), because the product contains undeclared nuts.
- Food Alert (Ireland): Diageo Ireland advises that two batches of Guinness 568ml brown crowned bottles (Lot codes L1277GD001 and L1290GD001) have been mislabelled. The labels carry incorrect UK units of alcohol (labeled as 1.8, whereas the labels should read 2.4). The product poses no health risk, but consumers may be mislead as to the amount of alcohol consumed.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1574): Escherichia coli in clams from Turkey; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1575): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked rainbow trout from Greece; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1576): Yeast in remoulade sauce from Denmark; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1577): Histamine in frozen sardine fillets from Tunisia; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1578): Escherichia coli in frozen mechanically separated poultry meat from Poland; distributed to Romania.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1579): Salmonella typhimurium in fish feed from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1580): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1581): Methomyl in fresh mint from Israel; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1583): Cadmium in chilled tiger prawns from Senegal; distributed to Germany.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.