Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Windsor Quality Food Co. Ltd. (Los Angeles, CA) recalls Molly’s Kitchen Mini Chicken Pot Pie Empanadas (10-lb cases; Product code 953397; Best before August 30, 2012), because the product may contain pieces of plastic. The recalled empanadas were shipped to one foodservice distributor for further distribution nationwide.
- Food Safety Alert: The Texas Department of State Health Services announces that all recreational and commercial oyster, clam and mussel harvesting in Texas coastal waters has been closed due to red tide.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: Novartis Consumer Health recalls a number of Excedrin products, due to product mix-up occurrences, according to notices posted by Giant and Food City supermarekts.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns B & F Fish Market, LLC (Parsons, TN) that a June 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Evergreen Fresh Sprouts, LLC (Moyle Springs, ID) that a June-July 2011 inspection of the company’s sprout growing facility subsequent to an outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis revealed insanitary conditions and practices that may have contributed directly or indirectly to contamination of your sprouts with pathogens.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Snokist Growers (Yakima, WA) that a May/June 2011 inspection of the company’s food processing facility revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- Cosmetics Product Safety Recall: Purity Cosmetics (San Jose, CA) recalls 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Cocoa Plum Eye Shadow (Lot #1B11) after Pseudomonas luteola was found in a sample of the product. The recalled item was produced for Purity Cosmetics by Radical Cosmetics (New Brunswick, NJ) and was distributed to retail stores in California, Florida, New York, Indiana, Texas, Illinois, Oregon, Minnesota, Virginia, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Nevada and Tennessee. Purity began shipping the product on or after March 7, 2011.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Missouri State Public Health Laboratory has confirmed 28 cases of E. coli O157:H7 in and around St. Louis County. Testing of an additional 7 specimens is still in progress. Schnucks removed certain items from its salad bars company-wide, including from Logli and Hilander stores in Rockford, IL after several outbreak patients mentioned the chain.
- Food Safety Recall: Alimentation Gauthier & Frères enr/IGA (Shawinigan, QC) recalls several ground beef, ground veal, and ground pork products (packaged 30 octobre 2011), because they may be contaminated with metal particles.
- Food Safety Recall: Sea World Fisheries Ltd. recalls Live Manila Clams (25-lb; Lot #V4218: Harvest date Oct 26, 2011; Harvest area 15-2 Savary Island, BC (Wild); Process date Oct 26, 2011), due to the presence of marine biotoxin. The recalled clams were distributed to the hotel/restaurant/institutional market in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Aliments Aquafuchsia recalls Aquafuchsia Baby Onion Shoots (70g; Lot 279) and Aquafuchsia Alfalfa Sprouts (125g; Lot #285), due to microbiological spoilage.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Spar recalls tête pressée gantoise/Ghent head cheese? (UPC 5400210556307; Expiry date 14/11/2011), after Listeria is detected in a sample. The recalled product was sold in Spar stores, and in other stores supplied by Spar.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Carrefour recalls Lait entier Carrefour Discount/Carrefour Discount Whole Milk (1L carto; Lot #11678, 111724 and 111732; Best before dates 30/12/2011, 06/01/2012 and 07/01/2012), because milk may develop an altered taste or odor, due to a sporadic technical malfunction during manufacture.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): DEEN Supermarkets recalls DEEN Fuet Extra Dry Spanish Sausage (170g; Expiry 20/03/2012), due to potentially hazardous microbiological defects.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danish Supermarket recalls ATCO almonds (200g; Expiry 31/7-2012; Product of Germany), due to larvae infestation.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1533): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1536): Carbon monoxide treatment of chilled yellowfin tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1539): Incorrect date code on chilled shredded duck kit from the United Kingdom; distributed to Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1541): Escherichia coli in green herbs from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1542): Salmonella spp. in fresh coriander from Vietnam; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1543): Leucomalachite green in live trout from Austria; distributed to the Czech Republic.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Saudi Arabia): The Saudi Food and Drug Authority has prohibited the sale of Gaudiano Bio Olives after an alert was issued by the Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.