Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the horse meat investigation, please consult the Horse Meat Synopsis and Recalls page.
- Food Safety Recall: MKG Provisions (Miami, FL) recalls Atlantic Smoked Salmon (Batch #1768) due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The following recalled products were distributed from January 23, 2013 through February 1, 2013 to Gold Kosher (North Miami Beach, FL), Sally Sherman Salads (Ft. Lauderdale, FL), Boca Raton Resort & Club (Boca, FL), US Foodservice South Florida, US Foodservice Baltimore, Deer Run (Longwood, FL), L’Chaim (Delray Beach, FL), Prestige Smokehouse (Riviera Beach, FL), and Best Value (Miami, FL): UpRiver Brand Norwegian presliced sides (Upriver vacuum pouch bags), Prestige Brand Scottish presliced sides (clear vacuum pouch bags), Legendary Brand Norwegian pre-sliced sides (Legendary vacuum pouch bags), Prestige Brand Pastrami pre-sliced sides (clear vacuum pouch bags), UpRiver Brand Scottish pre-sliced sides (UpRiver vacuum pouch bags), UpRiver Brand Trimmings in clear bags (clear vacuum pouch bags), UpRiver Brand Pastrami pre-sliced sides (UpRiver vacuum pouch bags), UpRiver Brand Peppered pre-sliced sides (UpRiver vacuum pouch bags), UpRiver Brand Tequila/Cilantro pre-sliced sides (UpRiver vacuum pouch bags), Prestige Brand retail packs (16 oz.; clear vacuum pouch bags), UpRiver Brand Nwgn retail packs (4 oz.; UpRiver vacuum pouch bags), Prestige Brand Irish retail packs (4 oz.; clear vacuum pouch bags), Prestige Brand Nwgn retail packs (4 oz.; clear vacuum pouch bags), Prestige Brand Nova retail packs (4 oz.: clear vacuum pouch bags), UpRiver Brand Gravalax retail packs (4 oz.; UpRiver vacuum pouch bags), and UpRiver Brand Norwegian Presliced sides (UpRiver vacuum pouch bags).
- Food Safety Recall: Wegmans recalls Wegmans brand All-Purpose Bleached Flour (UPC 0 77890 22797; Best by 12/20/13), because the product may contain 7-9 mm blue polyurethane balls from the product sifting equipment. The recalled product was sold between December 24, 2012 and February 15, 2013.
- Pet Treat Safety Recall: Kasel Associated Industries (Denver, CO) recalls ALL PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED AT ITS DENVER, COLORADO FACILITY FROM APRIL 20, 2012 THRU SEPTEMBER 19, 2012 due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled products were distributed nationwide through various retailers from April 20th to September 19th, 2012. Affected brand names include Boots&Barkley, BIXBI, Nature’s Deli, Colorado Naturals, Petco and Best Bully Stick. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products and ‘Best By’ dates.
- Health Alert (North Carolina): Mecklenburg County (NC) Health Department advises that an employee of Hooters Restaurant (7702 Gateway Lane NW, Concord, NC) and the Whiskey Warehouse (1221 The Plaza, Charlotte, NC) has been confirmed to be infected with hepatitis A virus. Patrons who ate at the Hooters location on Feb. 7th or 8th between 10:30am and 5pm, and patrons who ate or drank at the Whiskey Warehouse location on Feb 6th between 5:30pm and 7:30pm, on Feb 9th between 4:30pm and 3:30am or on Feb 13th between 7pm and 8:30pm may have been exposed to hepatitis A.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Canada Safeway Limited recalls The Gourmet Meat Shoppe Big & Juicy Burger (1.13 kg; UPC 0 58200 10650 3; Best before 2013 AU 14 EST 752), The Gourmet Meat Shoppe Prime Rib Burger (907g; Best before 2013 AU 14 EST 752), and The Butcher’s Cut Pure Beef Patties (10, 20 and 40 patties; 1.13 kg, 2.27 kg & 4.45 kg, respectively; UPC 0 58200 21604 2, UPC 0 58200 21592 2 & UPC 0 58200 21594 6, respectively; Best before 2013 AU 14 EST 752), due to possible E. coli O157:H7 contamination. This recall is the result of an ongoing outbreak investigation. The recalled products were sold in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and Northwest Territories.
- Food Recall: Cie 2 Ameriks Inc. recalls Gogo Quinoa brand Amaranth and Kaniwa Cream (400g; Code MR 2014 212KR516; UPC 8 96899 00055 5), for unspecified reasons. The recalled product was supplied to retailers in Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): ICA recalls ICA Mashed Potatoes (12-serving container, 3 x 140g; Best before 2014-08-08), because the product may contain metal particles.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Loch Arthur Creamery recalls Loch Arthur Creamery Criffel full fat semi-soft unpasteurized cheese (Production dates 7 January 2013 and 9 January 2013), because the cheese contains high levels of Listeria monocytogenes. This is an expansion of an earlier recall.
- Food Fraud Recall (Czech Republic): Tesco recalls Nowaco Lasagne Bolognese, frozen (400g pkg; Best before 24. 2. 2014; Batch code 24/02/14 240/12 8:30; Country of Origin Luxembourg) and Nowaco Lasagne Bolognese, frozen (400g pkg; Best before 18.10.2013; Batch code 18/10/13 111/12 17:03; Country of Origin Luxembourg) because the products were found to contain horse DNA.
- Food Safety/Outbreak Notification Update (EU #2013.0191): Shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 in frozen hamburgers from Sweden, with raw materials from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0211 & 2013.0216): Salmonella in paan leaves from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0212): Suspicion of fraud (unlabeled horse meat) in relation to beef tortelloni from Germany; distributed to Austria and Switzerland.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0213): Suspicion of fraud (equine DNA) in relation to meat ravioli, meat tortellini with raw material from Brazil, Belgium and Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0214): Omethoate and unauthorized dinotefuran in yard long beans from Jordan; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0215): Methamidophos, acephate, profenofos and tetramethrin in green chillies from Sri Lanka; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0218): Excessive Escherichia coli in fresh basil leaves from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0219): Histamine in chilled tuna fillets from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0220): Norovirus in oysters from France; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0221): Enteropathogenic Escherichia coli in frozen boneless beef from Brazil; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.