Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the horse meat investigation, please consult the Horse Meat Synopsis and Recalls page.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The CDC has now identified eight overlapping multistate outbreaks of Salmonella infections that are associated with exposure to pet turtles or their environments. Thirty-eight states have reported a total of 347 confirmed cases of Salmonella; 55 of the case-patients were hospitalized as a result of their illnesses. One-third of the outbreak victims are children 1 year of age or younger; 70% are children under the age of 10 years.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Tofts Smokehouse recalls Club Ham (4 kg net wt vacuum packed; Best before 8.3.2013; Production date 6.2.2013), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
- Food Safety Alert (Netherlands): The Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority is investigating the premises of a meat processing company in Enschede. The investigation was initiated after Swedish authorities found Enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) was found in beef scraps from the Enschede company. The contaminated beef is suspected to have infected two children in Sweden.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0197): Suspicion of fraud in relation to ravioli bolognese from France; distributed to Germany.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0198): Suspicion of fraud in relation to beef goulash from Germany, with raw material from Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0199): Cadmium in frozen squids from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0200): Ochratoxin A in coffee from Latvia; distributed to Lithuania.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a suspected food poisoning case cluster involving 11 persons (aged 13 – 64) who developed symptoms after lunching at a restaurant in Qingyuan, Guangdon on February 15th. All are currently in stable condition.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.