Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Food Safety Recall: VEGGIE PATCH® recalls VEGGIE PATCH brand The Ultimate Meatless Burger, refrigerated, fully cooked (9-oz trays; Use by Jan/12/2013; UPC 6-10129-00211-5) and VEGGIE PATCH brand Falafel, refrigerated, fully cooked (9-oz trays; Use by Jan/15/2013; UPC 6-10129-06619-3), due to a risk of contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled burgers were sold on or after November 21, 2012 in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Indiana, Wisconsin, Virginia, New Jersey and Delaware; the recalled falafels were sold nationwide. The contamination was discovered as part of VEGGIE PATCH’s routine product testing.
- Food Safety Recall: Trader Joe’s recalls Trader Joe’s Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice (12.5 oz boxes; Product Code 2012-10-31; sku 99032; Production date 305 12), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The product was recalled by the Canadian manufacturer, Aliya’s Foods Limited (Canadian Est. No. 720). The recalled product was sold in Trader Joe’s stores in Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, DC.
- Food Safety Recall: Wa Heng Dou Fu & Soy Sauce Corporation (Sacramento, CA) recalls all Hua Xing brand Dou-Fu products and all Wa Heng brand Dou-Fu, Tofu, and Soy Milk products (All products manufactured before 11/28/12), due to potential contamination with filth. The recalled products were sold in Northern California.
- Food Safety Recall: Costco and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency alert the public to the recall of VEGGIE PATCH brand The Ultimate Meatless Burger (1.02 kg refrigerated trays; Product of USA; Best before Jan/12/2013 and Jan/17/2013; UPC 6-10129-08477-7), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled item was sold between November 24th to November 29th, 2012 in Costco Wholesale warehouse stores in Quebec, Ontario (Oshawa and Ottawa stores only), New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
- Food Safety Recall: Compass Food Sales (Aurora, ON) recalls Compass brand California Walnuts, in-shell (300g; Product of USA; UPC 0 68297 20121 0; Best before 07MA2014), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled walnuts were distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Loblaws Companies Ltd. (Brampton, ON) recalls Filberts (hazelnuts), in-shell (Product of USA; sold in bulk or in 454g bags bearing UPC 7 75636 10004 1), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled filberts were distributed nationally in Real Canadian Super Store, Fortinos, Freshmart, Loblaws, No Frills, Valu-Mart, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs, Dominion, Red & White, Save Easy, Cash and Carry, Real Canadian Wholesale Club, AXEP, Group Distribution, Intermarché, Maxi & Cie, Maxi, Presto, Club Entrepôt, Provigo, Extra Foods, Shop Easy, Super Valu, and Westfair retail stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Loblaws Companies Ltd. (Brampton, ON) recalls Mixed Nuts (Product of USA; 454 g, bearing UPC 6 28721 20678 7; 1.36 kg, bearing UPC 0 33383 70401 2), due to possible contamination with Salmonella. The recalled nuts were distributed nationally in Real Canadian Super Store, Fortinos, Freshmart, Loblaws, No Frills, Valu-Mart, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs, Dominion, Red & White, Save Easy, Cash and Carry, Real Canadian Wholesale Club, Maxi & Cie, Maxi, Presto, Club Entrepôt, Provigo, Extra Foods, Shop Easy, Super Valu, Westfair, Affiliated Independents, and Quick Mart stores.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Ruris nv recalls Pommes de terre Annabelle Chair ferme ALDI (2.5 kg; Lot #5739/5765/5784/5793/5833) and Pommes de terre Annabelle D365 Delhaize Chair ferme (5 kg; Lot #5739/5765/5784/5793/5833), due to the presence of an elevated level of the herbicide fluazipop-P-butyl.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Urtekram Int A/S recalls Organic coconut oil (425 ml; Best before 28/9-2014 and 3/11-2014; Lot codes 28.09.2014 L21 and L21 03.11.2014), due to an unusual taste and smell.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): John K. Anastasopoulos & Son Ltd recalls Lily brand Natural Mineral Water (1.5L bottle; Lot #121107; Expiration date 7/11/13), due to contamination with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Norway): The outbreak of Salmonella Mikawasima illnesses has increased to 13 confirmed cases in nine counties: Oslo (1 patient) Akershus (1), Vestfold (1), Aust-Agder (1), Vest-Agder (3) Telemark (1), Oppland (1 ), Hordaland (3) and Nordland (1). The source of the outbreak is still under investigation.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Lenard’s Pty Ltd. recalls various flavours and varieties of minced chicken products (sold unpackaged to consumers between 27-30 November 2012), due to the presence of foreign material (wood and metal). The recalled product was sold only in Lenard’s retail outlets in Western Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.