Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Withdrawal: Giant Eagle reports the withdrawal of Bumble Bee Oysters Canned (8-oz; UPC 8660070030). The product is being pulled and held pending further instructions from FDA and the supplier regarding the possibility that the product could be adulterated. No production code or date code information was provided.
- Food Safety Health Hazard Alert/Recall: Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public, importers and manufacturers not to use Tempeh Starter Yeast and Super Starter Yeast (30g, 50g, 250g and 1000g sealed, clear plastic packages), because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were sold through direct mail orders by the US supplier, Indonesianfoodmart.com (Rockville, MD), and were distributed across Canada. There have been dozens of reported cases of Salmonella Paratyphi B illnesses in the USA that were associated with tempeh that was manufactured using the Tempeh Starter Yeast. No cases have been reported to date in Canada.
- Food Safety Recall: Marché Napoléon inc (Sept-Îles, QC) recalls Poivrons Rouges Grillés à l’Ail/ Grilled Red Peppers with Garlic (125mL and 250mL glass jars; Lot code 2 03 2013) and Tartinade de Poivrons Rouges Grillés à l’Ail/Grilled Red Peppers with Garlic Spread (125mL and 250mL glass jars; Lot code 2 03 2013), because the product label does not carry the instruction “Garder réfrigérés (Keep refrigerated), and the products were displayed for sale without refrigeration, rendering the products potentially unsafe for consumption.
- Food Safety Recall (Switzerland): The Aargau consumer protection agency reports that Filet d’anchois avec câpres/Anchovy filets with capers (120g jar; Expiration date 28.02.2013; Lot #11241), represents a health hazard, due to the presence of histamine in the product. The recalled product was sold by Globus. Consumers who purchased the product should return it to the store.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Belgium): Body in Style recalls Body in Style Slimming Green Coffee (Lot #SS 201203; Expiration date 03/2014), due to the presence of sibutramine, a substance that is prohibited in foods.
- Outbreak Alert (Scotland): Health authorities are investigating two confirmed cases and four suspected cases of E. coli O157 illnesses in children who attend Rose Lodge Nursery School in Aboyne, Royal Deeside. The baby nursery at the school has been closed while the investigation is carried out.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0706): Green glass fragments in rice cakes from Italy; distributed to Ireland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0708): Salmonella spp. in ground black pepper from Vietnam; distributed to Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0709): Ochratoxin A in chili powder from China; distributed to Germany and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0710): Parasitic infestation of chilled frogs’ legs from Turkey; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0711): Salmonella spp. in chilled stuffed meat product from Romania; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0712): Salmonella spp. in tahini from Syria; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0713): Histamine in anchovies with oil and capers from Italy; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0714): Salmonella spp. in tumeric powder from the United Kingdom, with raw material from India; distributed to Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, the Netherlands and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0715): Salmonella spp. in turmeric powder from India, via Germany; distributed to Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, the Netherlands and Sweden.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0716): Unauthorized sibutramine in diet coffee from Australia; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0717): Salmonella spp. in ground cumin from Turkey; distributed to Germany and the Netherlands.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Consumers are warned not to use or sell Tempeh Starter Yeast and Super Starter Yeast (30g, 50g, 250g and 1000g package sizes; all batches), which were recalled in the USA due to reported cases of salmonellosis associated with consumption of Tempeh made with the recalled yeast products. The products were distributed by the US-based company IndonesianFoodMart.com via direct mail order or online. Anyone who has these products should discard them.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.