Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Boba Direct recalls Almond, Avocado, Banana, Blueberry, Café Latte, Cherry, Chocolate, Coconut, Honeydew, Lavender, Lychee, Mango, Matcha Green Tea, Milk Tea, Passionfruit, Peppermint, Pineapple, Red Bean, Strawberry, Taro, Vanilla and Watermelon BD Flavored Powders (2.2-lb plastic bags; Distributed from December 26, 2012 through January 4, 2013), due to undeclared milk. The recalled product was supplied to cafés, restaurants and smoothie shops throughout the USA.
- Allergy Alert: Belmont Confections Inc. recalls Dymatize Nutrition Elite Cookies & Cream bars (1.5 oz and 3 oz sizes; UPC 705016993147 and 705016993000, respectively) and Dymatize Nutrition Elite Gourmet Fudge Brownie (1.5 oz and 3 oz sizes; UPC 705016993130 and 705016993079, respectively), due to undeclared peanuts. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected lot numbers and Best By date codes.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Glenn’s Market and Catering (Watertown, WI) recalls Glenn’s Market ground round, ground chuck and ground beef (various size packages; Sold between Dec 22, 2012 and Jan 4, 2013), due to potential E. coli O157:H7 contamination. The recalled ground beef was implicated in an outbreak cluster of three E. coli O157:H7 illnesses in Wisconsin. The three patients became ill between Dec 29, 2012 and Jan 1, 2013. Two of the three case-patients reported having consumed raw ground round purchased on Dec 24, 2012; the third individual consumed product that was ground and purchased on Dec 30, 2012. The recalled ground meat products were sold at Glenn’s Market and Catering, 722 West Main Street, Watertown, WI.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns The Box Lunch Company, Inc. (South San Francisco, CA) that an October-November 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese (Austin, KY) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s cheese manufacturing facility confirmed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes on food contact and non-food contact surfaces. In addition, sampling carried out by FDA on August 30, 2012 revealed Listeria monocytogenes in three finished product samples. In addition, the August inspection revealed violations of Current Good Manufacturing Practices.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns North Fish Co., Ltd. (Etobicoke (Toronto), ON, Canada) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Fisherman’s Market Ltd. (Halifax, NS, Canada) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Allergy Alert: Les Aliments Deli Chef recalls various Sandwiches prepared for Deli Chef and various Sandwiches prepared for Couche Tard, due to undeclared mustard. The recalled sandwiches were supplied to retailers in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec. Please refer to the recall notice for details on the varieties, UPC and Best before dates.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada has confirmed two additional cases of E. coli O157:H7 linked to the consumption of shredded lettuce supplied to fast food and food service companies. The 28 confirmed illnesses were reported from New Brunswick (6), Nova Scotia (10) and Ontario (12). The implicated lettuce was traced to its origin in California.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0031): Bone fragment in peanuts in chocolate from Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0033): Norovirus in live clams from Spain; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0034): Norovirus in oysters from Spain; distributed to France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2013.0036): Undeclared egg in chilled surimi from China, packaged in Sweden; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0038): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled mackerel from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0040): Insect infestation in fresh wheat sprouts from the Czech Republic; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0041): Mercury in frozen swordfish steak from Vietnam; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0042): Mercury in frozen blue shark from Vietnam; distributed to Estonia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0043): Histamine in chilled tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration warns that Libigirl capsules pose a serious health risk due to the capsules containing the undeclared prescription substances sildenafil and tadalafil. The supply of these capsules is illegal in Australia.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Cuba): Reuters reports that Cuban authorities have confirmed 51 cases of cholera in an outbreak that was first detected on January 6, 2013. The first cases were traced to a baseball game at the Latin American Stadium in the Cerro municipality of Havana.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.