Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Jimmy Dean® recalls Jimmy Dean French Toast & Sausage Sandwich butcher-wrapped food service product (Code 12292P1; UPC 5450051434), because the product may contain undeclared egg and soy. The recalled product was distributed in Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- Allergy Alert: Frito-Lay recalls GRANDMA’S Peanut Butter Sandwich Crème Cookies (3.025 oz pkgs; Sell by March 12, 2013 or earlier; UPC 28400-00153) and GRANDMA’s Peanut Butter Mini Sandwich Crème Sandwich Cookies (1.71 oz pkgs; Sell by May 21, 2013 or earlier; UPC 28400-00901), due to the presence of undeclared milk and egg.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Spence & Co. Ltd. (Brockton, MA) recalls New York Style Nova Lox (Lot code 9720704), because of possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Two possible product-related illnesses have been reported. The recalled product was distributed through distributors in Illinois, Missouri, New Jersey, Massachusetts and the Detroit (MI) area between 9.26.12 and 10.5.12, and also was distributed to the follwoing stores: Earthfare (AL, NC, GA, SC, TN, FL & OH between 9.28.12 and 10.5.12), Shaws Supermarkets (New England, on 9.28.12; expiration date 10.21.12), Roche Bros. (Massachusetts on 9.26.12; Expiration date 10.19.12), and Fresh Markets (FL, GA, KY, IL, AL, AZ, OH, TN, SC, VA, IN, MI, OK & KS).
- Food Safety Recall: Black Earth Meat Market Inc. (Black Earth, WI) recalls Black Earth Meats Natural Beef Tongues and Black Earth Meats Local Beef Tongues (Various size cases; Est 34379; produced on October 8, 11, 17 and 18, 2012), because the tonsils may not have been removed completely. The recalled product was supplied to a restaurant in Wisconsin and a distributor in Illinois.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Public health investigators from the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services have determined that the petting zoo at the Cleveland County Fair was the initial source of exposure to E. coli that resulted in 106 illnesses and one death. Weather may have played a role in spreading the contamination to the area surrounding the petting zoo exhibit. One child died, and 105 other children and adults became ill as a result of the contamination at the petting zoo.
- Food Safety Recall: Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese (Austin, KY) recalls several cheese products after routine testing finds Listeria monocytogenes in some samples: Colby, Colby Cheese (8oz, 5 lb, 10 lb, or 25 lb block, vacuum packed, Lot # 120724), Chipotle Colby, Flavored Colby Cheese (8 oz, 5 lb, 10 lb, or 25 lb block, vacuum packed, Lot #120711), Monterey Jack, Jack Cheese (8 oz, 5 lb, 10 lb, or 25 lb block, vacuum packed, Lot # 120719), and Mild Cheddar, Cheddar Cheese (8 oz, 5 lb, 10 lb, or 25 lb block, vacuum packed Lot # 120625). The recalled cheeses were distributed or sold beginning on September 20th, 2012 to locations in Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia to distributors, restaurants and farmer’s markets.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): Auchan recalls Cora brand Râpé de jambon (150g plastic pkgs; Product of France; All expiry dates) due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): The manufacturer recalls Cora brand Râpé de poulet (150g plastic pkgs; Lot 1243511; Expiry 25/11/2012; Product of France) due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): The manufacturer recalls HiPP Gemüse Allerlei mit Mini-Pasta und Biorind (2 x 190g pkgs; Product of Germany; Lot R11171; Expiry 27/05/2013), due to a choking hazard.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1561): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled monkfish from the United Kingdom; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1562): Salmonella in pork meat from Sweden, with raw material from Denmark; distributed to Sweden.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1563): Salmonella in pet food from India; distributed to Germany.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1564): Undeclared wheat and nuts in toffee with milk chocolate from Finland; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1566): Salmonella in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert Update (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection has received reports of 25 additional cases of food poisoning associated with a restaurant in Tsim Sha Tsui. Thirty-seven people have been affected so far. All are in stable condition.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.