Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Giant Eagle recalls Spice Bars – Bakery (UPC 21972200000; All Sell by dates), due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: Mayflower International, aka Fu Xiang Yuan Trading Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Fu Xiang Yuan Trading Inc. brand Lily Dry (3.5 oz/100g plastic and foil bag; UPC 6 944295 300176; Product of China), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was distributed throughout the USA.
- Food Safety Recall: Fresh Express Incorporated (Charlotte, NC) recalls Fresh Express Spinach (9 oz pkg; Product code S299B25; Use by November 7), due to possible contamination with Salmonella. The recalled spinach was distributed primarily in the Western region of the USA.
- Food Safety Recall: Nestle USA recalls Nestle NESQUIK® Chocolate Powder (40.7 oz; UPC 0 28000 68230 9; Production codes 2282574810 & 2282574820; Best before Oct 2014), Nestle NESQUIK® Chocolate Powder (21.8 oz; UPC 0 28000 68090 9; Production codes 2278574810, 2278574820, 2279574810, 2279574820, 2284574820, 2284574830, 2285574810, 2285574820, 2287574820, 2289574810 & 2289574820; Best before Oct 2014) and Nestle NESQUIK® Chocolate Powder (10.9 oz; UPC 0 28000 67990 3; Production code 2278574810; Best before Oct 2014), because the products contains calcium carbonated supplied by Omya Inc., and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were manufactured during early October, 2012 and distributed nationally.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that a total of 41 persons infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Bredeney have been documented in 20 states; 63% are children under the age of 10 years. The illnesses were linked to the consumption of peanut butter manufactured by Sunland, Inc. of Portales, New Mexico. Ten of the outbreak victims were hospitalized.
- Outbreak Alert: Food Safety News reports that unpasteurized, unlabeled apple cider may be the source of a number of E. coli infections in Antrim County, Michigan. The cider was produced at an unlicensed facility.
- Food Safety Recall: Purity Life Health Products recalls Larabar Gluten Free Cashew Fruit & Nut Energy Bars (16 x 48g; Use by 30MAY2013; UPC 00021908455235) due to microbiological spoilage. The recalled bars were sold in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda withdraws Asda Extra Special Syrup Sponge Puddings (300g; Best before 17 February 2013), due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Het Dischhof recalls Keiems Bloempje natuur – Petite Fleur Nature soft curd cheese (Expiry 06/12/12 (Lot 40.3 and 40.4), Expiry 13/12/12 (Lots 41.3, 41.4, 41.5) and Expiry 20/12/12 (Lots 42.2 and 42.4)), and Keiems Bloempje met kruiden – Petite Fleur aux herbes (Expiry 13/12/12; Lot 41/3), due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Netherlands): An additional 31 cases of Salmonella Thompson infections were confirmed in the last week. In total, 1,094 people have been sickened in the Netherlands after consuming smoked salmon contaminated with the outbreak strain.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Northern Ireland): The outbreak of E. coli O157 infections linked to Flicks restaurant in Cityside Mall, Belfast now comprises 137 confirmed cases and 164 probable cases.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Approximately 350 passengers on the Celebrity Cruise vessel Constellation were reported ill with vomiting and diarrhea, thought to be due to norovirus. The ship’s departure from Southampton was delayed to allow for extra cleaning and sanitizing, according to a BBC report.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety advises the public that the following two peanut butter products, which were imported into Hong Kong, were recalled by Sunland Inc. due to potential contamination with Salmonella: Sunland Organic Valencia Peanut Butter Creamy (12 oz/340g; Bar code 4868732810; Best before May 23, 2013) and Sunland Organic Valencia Peanut Butter Crunchy (12 oz/340g; Bar code 4868731810; Best before July 20, 2013). The importer has recalled all affected products, and retail outlets have stopped their sale.
- Food Safety Recall (Singapore): AVA alerts the public that the following product was recalled by the local importer after the manufacturer initiated a recall due to E. coli contamination: B.d Farm Paris Creek Organic Biodynamic Yoghurt Apricot (200g; Best before 14/11/2012; Product of Australia).
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health advises the public not to buy or consume the slimming product Ku Xiu Ba Xiang Jian Fei Wan, as it may contain undeclared and banned drug ingredients; namely sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected food poisoning outbreak involving 12 people who developed symptoms of diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain and fever after having dinner at a restaurant in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.