Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Somersault Snack Co., LLC recalls Somersaults Pacific Sea Salt (6 oz pkg; Sell by MAR1113 G6; UPC 8-98403-00201-7), because the product may contain undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Ready Pac Foods, Inc. (Irwindale, CA) recalls Dining In®, Ready Pac®, Starbucks®, Walmart® and Wawa® brands of packaged fruit products containing mangos distributed through August 30, 2012, because the products contain Daniella Brand mangos and may be contaminated with Salmonella Braenderup. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of products, use-by dates, and the states to which each of the products was distributed.
- Food Safety Recall: Trader Joe’s recalls Trader Joe’s Tropical Fruit Medley (SKU 94936; Best by dates on or before 8/28/12), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella Braenderup. The affected product was sold in Trader Joe’s Connecticut, District of Columbia, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Northern Virginia stores.
- Food Safety Recall: F&S Produce Co. Inc. (Rosenhayn, NJ) recalls certain Delish!, Garden Highway, Garden Pure, Signature Café, Trader Joe’s and Generic Label expired products that contain fresh-cut mangos (code date on or before August 28, 2012), because the products contain Daniella Brand mangos and may be contaminated with Salmonella Braenderup. The Signature Café product was sold at Safeway and Genuardi’s; the Generic Label was sold at Walmart stores in Florida. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of recalled products.
- Food Safety Recall: Manna Organics, Inc. (Newark, NJ) recalls various soybean sprouts and tofu products, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were distributed to various restaurants, retailers, and distributors in NY, NJ, PA, MA, VA, MD, CT, GA, IL, and TX on or after July 17, 2012. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products. The company has suspended production while the source of the contamination is investigated.
- Food Safety Recall: Lowes Foods recalls Lowes Foods Toaster Pastry Choc Fudge (11 oz; UPC 741643-02111; Lot code 28 OCT12F32), due to reports of mold.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on US retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Food Safety Recall: Continental Strictly Kosher Meat, Poultry & Delicatessen Products (Est. 29; Ville Mont-Royal, QC) recalls Glatt’s brand Lean Ground Veal, Lean Ground Beef, Medium Ground Beef, and Medium Ground Beef Club Pack (Pack date 27 août 12; Lot code 22812), due to possible contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products were sold at IGA #8111 (5800 Cavendish Boulevard, Côte Saint-Luc, QC), Kosher Quality Bakery (5855 Victoria Ave., Montreal, QC), IGA #108 (7151 Chemin de la Côte Saint-Luc, Côte Saint-Luc, QC), Alimentation Marcel Picard (13057 Gouin Boulevard, Pierrefonds, Montreal, QC) and IGA #8522 (4885 Avenue Van Horne, Montreal, QC).
- Food Safety Recall: Canada Safeway Ltd. recalls Fruit Tray Bien Fruit Blend (907g; UPC 0 77745 23415 1; All Best Before dates) and Super Fruit Medley Fruit Blend (298g; UPC 0 77745 24023 7; All Best Before dates), because the product, which were manufactured in the USA by Ready Pac, may be contaminated with Salmonella Braenderup. The recalled products were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan, and also may have been distributed in other provinces and territories.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on Canadian retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Inco Copenhagen Cash & Carry recalls Xavier David Petit Bleu Blue Cheese (250g; Product of France; Best before 26/8-2012 and 4/9-2012; Lot #199211), after German authorities reported detecting Listeria in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): HMF Food Production GmbH & Co recalls Frozen Pangasius Fillets (500g; Best before 01.04.2014; Batch/lot ID VN/489/VI/282 and VN/489/VI/283), due to improper packaging and an incorrect expiration date.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1262): Arsenic and lead in food supplement from the Netherlands; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1263): Suspected histamine poisoning caused by tuna in olive oil from Colombia; distributed to the Czech Republic and Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis at a rehab centre in Yuen Long District involving 17 residents or attendees and 6 staff members.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert: Australian Vintage Limited recalls McGuigan Black Label 20th Anniversary Reserve 2011 Chiraz Cabernet Sauvignon (750ml glass bottle) due to the presence of undeclared sulphur dioxide 220. The recalled product was sold at independent retail liquor stores in NSW, SA, WA, QLD, VIC and the ACT.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.