Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: JFC International Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) recalls JFC Furikake-Seto Fumi (1.7 oz; Lot code best before 04.05.2014; UPC 0 11152 41464), due to the presence of undeclared egg yolk, soybeans and wheat. The recalled product is distributed nationwide through retail stores, including QFC, and/or on-line web stores.
- Allergy Alert: Optima Distributors Ltd (Ridgewood, NY) recalls Del Campo brand Dried Potato (14 oz plastic bag; Product of Peru; Date code S 2012; UPC 8-91728-00021-8), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was distributed in the New York City metro area.
- Food Safety Recall: Kroger informs its customers that Spence & Co. Smoked Salmon Trim (8-oz pkg) has been recalled by the manufacturer due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled product was sold in Kroger stores located in Greater Cincinnati, including Northern Kentucky, Dayton, OH and South Eastern Indiana; King Soopers and City Market stores.
- Food Safety Recall: American Licorice Co. (Union City, CA) recalls Red Vines Black Licorice Twists Candy (1 lb/453g pkg; All code dates) due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled candy was sold throughout California.
- Food Safety Recall Update: California Department of Public Health releases California retail distribution list for Tanimura & Antle Romaine Lettuce, recalled due to possible contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled Romaine Lettuce was sold in Wal-Mart stores throughout California, Safeway stores in Northern California, and Pak ‘N Save stores in Emeryville, Madera, Oakland, San Leandro, and South San Francisco.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: FDA initiates seizure of various food products in the warehouse owned by San Francisco Herb & Natural Food Company, after agency inspectors find significant insanitary conditions, including live and dead rodents in and around food products and apparent rodent nesting materials in food.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers about the potential health risks of Reumofan Plus and Reumofan Plus Premium, marketed as natural dietary supplements for treating a variety of conditions. These products contain the active pharmaceutical ingredients dexamethasone, diclofenac sodium, and/or methocarbamol, none of which are listed on the product labels. The products are manufactured in Mexico by Riger Naturals and sold in the US in some retail outlets, at flea markets and on various internet sites.
- Food Safety Alert: USDA suspends Central Valley Meat for humane handling violations, effectively halting slaughter operations.
- Food Withdrawal: Suncore Products, LLC withdraws WhoNu?® Vanilla Wafers (Use by dates prior to February 9, 2013) after receiving reports of off-odor and off-flavor.
- Allergy Alert: Raphaville International Ltd. recalls Erom Dr. Hwang’s Black Soy and Rice Drink (16 x 190 mL; All codes; UPC 8 809111 699712), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: TWI Foods, Inc. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Crispy Just Baked brand Almond Cookies, Coconut Cookies, and Pistachio Cookies (800g and 1.135 kg/2.5 lb pkgs; all codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Alpha Meat Packers Ltd. recalls Alpha Meat Packers Ltd. Veal Cutlets Tenderized (various kg; Code 177363) and Veal for Scalopini (various kg; Code 177425), due to contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled veal products were distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Sakellis Foods recalls Sakellis Foods Basil Leaves (2 lb; Sold on or after July 25, 2012), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled basil leaves were distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Dollarama Inc. recalls Peppermint Mints, Sour Fruit Mints, and Wintergreen Mints (43g; All codes) due to the presence of extraneous material (metal). The recalled products were sold nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Fine Choice Foods Ltd recalls Western Family Vegetable Spring Rolls 6 Pieces (340g; Best before Aug 25 2012 L 3045) and Sum-mi 18 Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls (1 kg; Best before Aug 22 2012 L 3045), due to the presence of extraneous material (metal). The recalled products were sold nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: WN Pharmaceuticals Ltd. recalls Webber Naturals Organic Chianutra Chia Seeds (450 g; various lot numbers/expiration dates), due to the presence of insect contamination. The recalled product was sold in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Tanimura & Antle brand Romaine Lettuce (product of USA; UPC 0 27918 20314 9), recalled by the producer after the Canadian Food Inspection Agency found E. coli o157:H7 in a sample, was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Yukon by The Grocery People Ltd. and by Martin’s Produce Sales Ltd.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): BVBA Mannavita advises the public that Ecomil Amandes + Calcium (400g; Lot #04612; Expiry 15/2/2014; Product of Spain) contains undeclared milk. The product is marketed as “lactose free.”
- Allergy Alert (UK): Cook Trading recalls Cook Roasted Vegetable and Chickpea Tagine (Best before 22 April 2013), because the product contains undeclared nuts.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Lidl Suomi Ky recalls Marvest New Zealand Lamb Steaks, marinated (400g; Best before 4/12/2013 and 4/11/2013; Batch code A 215 L 3274; Product of Germany), after Salmonella is found in a sample of the frozen lamb steaks.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1202): Salmonella in mechanically separated frozen poultry meat from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1204): Salmonella in salted liquid pasteurized egg yolk from Spain; distributed to France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1207): Undeclared celery in pork goulash from Germany; distributed to Slovakia.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1208 & 2012.1211): Benzalkonium chloride in grapefruit seed extract from the Czech Republic, with raw material from Ireland; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1209): Aflatoxins in stone ground corn meal from India; notified by the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1212): Chloramphenicol in chilled salted hog casings from China; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1213): Copper in fresh figs from Brazil; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1215): Phenylbutazone in chilled horsemeat from the United Kingdom; distributed to France and the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis at a residential child care centre in Wan Chai district. Four staff members and 17 babies are suffering from vomiting and diarrhea. Two of the babies were admitted to Queen Mary hospital.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.